Olympic Kiwi House Fire And Explosion
Created: 2012-08-10 12:41 EST
Hundreds of guests were evacuated, without injury, after a barbecue caught fire at New Zealand's London Olympic hospitality house on Wednesday.
Amateur video obtained by Reuters shows the exact moment the flames ignite a gas canister, causing a large explosion.
There was confusion as guests evacuated the venue without knowing the cause of the explosion, and police officers ordered everybody to get away from the area.
[Sam Forgie New Zealander Witness]:
"The first thing I knew about is that the alarm was going off when they asked us to evacuate and it was all really orderly. I came out and as we were staying on the stairs there, it exploded. It was a decent size explosion and they got us to the other side of the bridge."
Fire engines were quickly at the scene as guests and officials ran for safety.
[Ella Gibson, Kiwi House Worker]:
"The top of the gas canister set on fire and blew. The chefs kind of said 'oh my God is on fire, everyone move, everyone, the chefs tried to put it out and from there everybody moved as quickly as they could and next thing I was there, turned around and it exploded."
Kiwi House, located inside Central St Martins College, is open to athletes, officials and the public, and is situated near King's Cross station.
The New Zealand Olympic Committee has confirmed the incident in a statement.